Robocalls are out of control. In fact, a study recently found that over 200 million robocalls are placed each day. This is an astonishing figure. Robocalls can range from annoying to dangerous, and many people, unfortunately, accept them as an unavoidable part of life. However, there is hope for those affected by robocalls. In fact, the law provides the victims of robocalls with financial compensation under certain circumstances. So, if you’re a victim of unwanted robocalls, please review the information below, and contact a Florida TCPA attorney as soon as possible for assistance.
Key findings from the study
In addition to the astronomical number of robocalls placed each day, the study made the following findings:
- Nuisance calls (calls that are annoying but lack malicious intent), are increasing at a faster rate than high-risk calls (scams and/or fraudulent calls).
- Robocall hijacking of mobile numbers has doubled. Hijacking involves the illegal spoofing of a caller ID.
- Approximately one in 1,700 cell phone numbers are commandeered every month, which is more than double last year’s rate.
- Robocallers are increasingly moving from spoofing VoIP numbers to toll-free numbers.
- More than eight in 10 calls from the top 10 toll-free numbers are either high-risk or nuisance calls.
- Neighbor spoofing is increasing. Neighbor spoofing is the act of calling someone with a phone number similar to his or her own to increase the chances that he or she will answer. This tactic now accounts for approximately 25% of all robocalls.
- Snowshoe spamming is increasing. Snowshoe spamming occurs when a spammer spoof calls over several telephone numbers in low volume and rapidly moves through them to avoid detection by the authorities.
What can you do about robocalls?
Not only are robocalls increasing in frequency, but scammers are becoming more sophisticated in their use of these calls. Luckily, you can fight back against unwanted robocalls. With a Florida TCPA attorney on your side, not only will we help you combat these calls, but we may be able to help you obtain financial compensation
You may be entitled to financial compensation
With the assistance of an experienced Florida TCPA lawyer, may be entitled to up to $1500 for each documented violation of the TCPA law. Unsolicited robocalls are not only annoying—they’re against the law. Debt collection calls, advertisements, fraudulent schemes to swindle consumers out of money, identity theft scams, and calls seeking personal information are just a few of the types of unwanted calls with which today’s consumers find themselves bombarded. If you are a victim of telemarketer harassment of any kind, Seth Lehrman is here to help. Attorney Seth Lehrman represents people who have received unwanted robocalls or texts in TCPA cases in Florida and nationwide. If you have received unsolicited calls from telemarketers or have been subjected to other harassing behavior by telemarketers, please contact our law firm for a free consultation.