The Telephone Consumer Protection Act and its implementing regulations protect consumers by regulating the use of automatic telephone dialing systems and artificial voice calls. An automatic telephone dialing system is a type of equipment that stores or produces telephone numbers to be called and automatically dials such numbers. Artificial voice calls are calls that use artificial intelligence to communicate with customers. Telemarketers often use automatic telephone dialing systems to make artificial voice calls to consumers in large quantities. The TCPA restricts the use of artificial voice calls and holds telemarketers financially liable for violations. Below is an overview of artificial voice and the TCPA.
Damages for Artificial Voice Calls
Any consumer who receives prohibited artificial voice calls may file a lawsuit against the telemarketer or debt collector who made the calls. Under the TCPA, a consumer is eligible to receive:
- Up to $500 for every violation of the do not call registry,
- Up to $500 per artificial voice call that violates the TCPA, and
- Up to $1,500 per artificial voice call if the consumer can prove that the telemarketer violated the TCPA knowingly and willfully.
What to Do if you Receive an Artificial Voice Call
If you receive an artificial voice call and wish to pursue compensation under the TCPA, you should take the following steps:
- Obtain copies of your phone records and highlight all calls from telemarketers and debt collectors.
- Write down details of each artificial voice call you receive, including the date of the call, the time of the call, and the identity of the company that initiated the call.
- If you have placed a company on notice that you don’t wish to receive calls, keep a copy of the correspondence.
- Finally, although most artificial voice calls are forbidden under the TCPA, some types of telemarketing calls are permitted, and it can sometimes be difficult to determine whether a caller has violated the law. Therefore, if you’ve received unwanted telemarketing calls of any kind, you should have an attorney review the details of your case in order to determine whether you may be eligible for the compensation discussed above.
Contact Lehrmanclassaction.com Today!
The TCPA forbids certain types of telemarketing calls, including calls that use artificial voice. However, this hasn’t stopped telemarketers from continuing to harass people. If you are a victim of prohibited phone calls from telemarketers and are ready to fight back, you need a Florida TCPA attorney in your corner. When you hire attorney Seth Lehrman, you can rest assured that we’ll do everything we can to ensure that you are well compensated for the harassment you’ve endured. Seth Lehrman dedicates a large portion of his practice to representing people who are sick and tired of unwanted telemarketing calls. Therefore, if you have received unsolicited telemarketing calls in Florida or elsewhere in the United States, please contact our law firm as soon as possible for a free consultation.